Dating services in ann arbor mi
As a result, Detroit soon became a major center of iron production, especially for use in stoves.
(Wyandotte was home to several companies as well, including the Regeant Stove Co.) It would be this technology that would give Henry Ford from nearby Dearborn the capabilities to create large amounts of steel for his automobile assembly lines. Van Alstyne, General Manager for Eber Ward of both the Eureka Iron & Steel Works and the associated Wyandotte Rolling Mills, laid out the master plan for the city.
Eureka Iron Works prospered through the late 19th century but suffered a shortage of raw materials.
It closed in 1892, but not before Wyandotte became a major hub in the chemical production industry, possible because of the many salt mines deep below the city.
The center of the village was nearly parallel to Biddle Avenue between Oak Street and Eureka Road near the river and its sandy beach, which was a welcome feature to the local tribesmen, as their main mode of transportation to the fort in Detroit was by birch bark canoe.
The tribe was considered peaceable and friendly with the British, the remaining French in the area, and the newly arrived Americans.
Wyandotte is bounded by Southgate (west), Lincoln Park (northwest), Riverview (south), Ecorse (north) and Lasalle (east).
This plan was frequently called the "Philadelphia Plan", with streets laid out on a north/south and east/west grid.
Streets running in the east/west direction were named after native plants and trees; the streets running north/south were simply numbered, increasing in value from the river westward.
He would also go on to found the Wyandotte Savings Bank in 1871, which was housed in the Main Office building of the Eureka Iron Works (which still stands at the southwest corner of Biddle and Elm; though greatly remodeled it remains the oldest building in the city today) for decades until it relocated into a new building at the northwest corner of Biddle and Eureka Road in 1981, where it remained until it was acquired in January 1989 by NBD Bancorp.
Today, Chase Bank, the successor to NBD, continues to operate in the same building, sharing it with the Wyandotte City Hall, which relocated into that building from a former department store a block north in late 2012.
In 1901 a post office was established here with the name of Bacon since there was already a Glenwood post office in Wayne Township, Cass County, Michigan. An early figure was Captain John Baptiste Ford, who used the salt to create soda ash, which in turn was used to create plate glass.